Wednesday, June 25, 2008




As threatened yesterday, some photos of the garden. From the top, our cardoon, which after a terrible start last year, this year is looking magnificent. Proof if any were needed that recovery is possible after the most disastrous setbacks. Secondly, one of our beautiful alliums. I love these crazy green fronds - there's something terribly random and druggy about them, which suits my mood at the moment. In the background of this picture, you can see the pot with the lilies in it - so far we've had no problems with lily beetle. Touching wood frantically as I type this. So far, every visitor to the house who's seen them has said "Oh, what lovely lilies. Have you had any problems with lily beetles?" as lots of them have.
Thirdly, honeysuckle. One of my favourite flowers since childhood, and even the smell of it takes me back to being 12, and hacking along a Gower lane covered with blossom on the way to a common for a canter. Or Pony Club camp. Both very happy memories. Why not share your favourite smell -induced memories? I realise that this is all getting a bit Proustian, but hey, why not?

No comments: