Thursday, August 14, 2008





As promised in my last post, I went to a card making workshop at Inkspot on Saturday afternoon. As usual, enjoyed thoroughly. On Sunday, went over to Busy Bees for a workshop on making a log cabin chicken. I don't usually post much on this blog about my craft related activities, as that is what Silver Nutmeg is for but I am so chuffed with the little chap - I think he's gorgeous. He doesn't yet have a name, and I am open to suggestions. Have a look at the picture and tell me what you think. He's made from two log cabin blocks - the workshop was a double bonus as not only did I learn the chicken but also how to make the block and even better, a shortcut to making two at a time. I've often seen log cabin quilts and the block is a joy to do - suspect will be doing more in future. There were six of us in the class, with a lovely tutor called Sue from the shop - haven't learned with her before, but she is excellent. One rather endearing characteristic was her referral to her class as "Girls", as in "Now girls, this is how we attach the next piece" and so on. Given that all of us were most definately middle aged and upwards this was lovely. She also confessed to being a secret Fig Roll addict.


Returned home with my new friend and placed him in a prominent position in the living room, so I can gaze at him lovingly. Both greyhounds have been warned that if they touch him, they can consider themselves as lucky to get away with being turned into a greyhound fricassee. Andrew is normally supportive in general of quilting but is completely bemused by the chicken, finds it vaguely funny and occasionally stares at it as if he can't quite believe it's sharing his home.


On Wednesday we went to the St. Mellons Show, over at Tredegar House. We were woken in the night on Tuesday by the heaviness of the rain, and at 7.30 on Weds it was still bucketing down. Waited a bit, and went over at around 10.30, wearing my winter coat and boots. By the time we returned home, I had mud in my hair, down my neck, on my face and my legs were a solid encrustation. Andrew also. However we did have a very nice time, looking at sheep, pigs, rabbits, a few dogs, assorted show ponies and cobs, jumping and a farrier display. The appalling weather had obviously affected numbers of visitors and exhibitors but as is traditional at these events, every one tried to make the best of it. Watched lots of vehicles stuck in the mud, even 4 x 4s.


I took the dogs over there again this morning, and the mud was spectacularly squelchy - we ended up nearly as mucky as yesterday. The dogs were fascinated by all the smells - their favourite was some straw from the pig tent, which both of them were burrowing into in an ecstasy of sniffing.


I also attach a gratuitous greyhound shot (it's been a while), some love in a mist from the garden and one of our Japanese anemones which has just started flowering.

No comments: