Friday, November 19, 2010

In previous blog posts, I've been enthusiastic about a company called Photobox. I use them regularly for ordering digital prints and a variety of other photo gifts. With Christmas coming up, I wanted to order some presents, and one of the things I also like to do is to put a selection of photographs in with Christmas cards for people who we may not have seen much of during the year. I am almost tempted to do a "Round Robin" but am brought back to my senses by thinking about the ones that Rita and Roger receive (Andrew's parents). Every Christmas they show us the best ones and they are without exception, wince-making and unintentionally hilarious. Tarquin's record breaking ascent of K2 is casually mentioned along with the knighthood, the Nobel Prize and of course the tribe of lovely and over achieving children. Someone really ought to collect the best (worst) examples although knowing the internet someone probably already does. Anyway, what I do is pop in a few pics, with a printed label on the back, giving a few brief details - "Here is Andrew receiving his Nobel Prize" "Here is Kate ascending K2" etc etc. Hopefully the recipient can enjoy, keep the pics if they wish and dispose if they don't. In general too they tend to be sent to people who don't read the blog - if I know someone is a reader, then there's no point in sending pics since they will be overdosed on our doings anyway.

So this year, I ordered the usual set of prints for the Christmas cards, and now am pleased to say they arrived promptly, and I've affixed the labels and even made some pretty little folders for the snaps using some Christmas paper. Once the cards are done, all I need to do is pop these in - it's good to have that feeling of being organised. While I was at it, I also ordered a few other gifts. For a friend I ordered a mug and a collage calendar poster - plus some fridge magnets and some stickers. I uploaded the order on Monday night and everything arrived on Wednesday - Keith our postie was laden when I answered the door to him. Everything looked good until I came to check the photo mug. At first I could see something was wrong but couldn't quite work it out - then it dawned on me the design was upside down. I called the company directly on Wednesday lunchtime shortly after Keith's delivery - company immediately assured me a replacement would be rushed out and sure enough a perfect mug turned up with Keith on Thursday. Now that's what I call good service.

In a spookily similar example, I also used the Thorntons website this week to order various chocolate goodies including ones that can be iced free of charge with the recipient's name. Order placed on Monday - huge box arrived on Wednesday via our regular courier ( a really nice lady - we are very blessed by her and Keith). Unfortunately, despite very secure packing one of the chocolate figures was smashed - I calleed the helpline and a lovely lady immediately assured me that a replacement would be rushed out to me. I've heard several times that companies actually build stronger customer loyalty when they get it right correcting something that's gone wrong and I can see how this might be the case. In these circumstances, I am very happy to say that both Photobox and Thorntons have demonstrated exemplary customer service and I am happy to recommend them. Overall, I am making excellent headway with the Christmas shopping - it is nearly all done now. Next week my fave auntie comes up from Swansea and we are having a day together in Cardiff to enjoy some shopping - it will be a pleasure as I will have very few things on my list so will be able to relax and enjoy myself sauntering round John Lewis stroking fabric and sighing over the luscious collection of handbags. The next challenge is the wrapping - I am not so good at this. And it always amazes me how incredibly time consuming it can be.

Tonight has been an evening of relaxation. We're nearly at the end of Downton Abbey - I am going to be utterly bereft when it finishes as it has become strangely addictive. Like most women, I now have a crush on the adorable valet and there is something so amazingly sexy about both men and women when buttoned up in Edwardian costumes - the sexual appeal is subtle rather than overt and therefore much more powerful. It's also lovely to see women with beautiful pale faces rather than orange perma-tans - again, very classy and very, very sexy. One of the strange things is seeing some of the staff smoking indoors in the kitchen. It made me realise how quickly the smoking ban has settled into our consciousness - it just looks odd and unpleasant now to see a lighted cigarette indoors. Oddly, I probably wouldn't feel that way about a pipe - firstly, they don't seem to be smoked so much these days and secondly both Andrew and myself had grandfathers who were devoted pipe smokers. As a consequence, we both have very happy memories attached to them and in general, pipe tobacco is usually very fragrant and pleasant to be around - often it smells of fruit such as cherries For many years, Andrew had a pair of chairs inherited from his grandparents and the covers retained a very faint (but aromatic) aroma of pipe tobacco - there was something very reassuring and pleasant about the smell.

No comments: