Friday, March 11, 2011

Tuesday was International Women's Day. Paula had been given some tickets for an event at the Millennium centre, so we went down there. The event was all about inspiring women sharing their stories, with a particular emphasis on the black community who have lived in Butetown (Tiger Bay in the old days, Shirley Bassey's stamping ground). The event was compered by an old friend of Paula's, and it was lively, interesting and very moving at times hearing some of the stories. Paula had a shock though as her friend called her up on stage to say a few words - completely unexpectedly. Paula was great - gave a short and witty speech, mentioning her illness without saying too much (that's a tricky job) and having everyone in stitches as she mentioned getting her first NVQ at the age of 75 (for beading), and now working on her advanced one. It brought a big lump to my throat seeing her up on stage like that.

Afterwards we went for a coffee and then toddled home. On Thursday it transpired that WAG have realised they will not be able to enact the dog breeding legislation before the Assembly breaks up at the end of the month. Elections are being held in early May. The Minister has said that consultation on the original draft will continue with the hope that any future administration will run with the programme. I really hope this does not get lost - a huge amount of work has gone in to get it to this point. I had a call from Horse and Hound asking for my views on some parts of the proposals - by the sound of it, the future consultations and tweaks will be quite thorough. Apparently over 500 responses were received for the initial consultation, which they are still working through.

I also did some baking and took some round for Paula as she is having a friend to stay this weekend. I did a batch of bread rolls - half for her and half to keep and a Mary Berry iced lemon traybake. I used a new silicon dish for the traybake and put the other half of the mix into silicon cup cake cases, then iced all of them. Paula has said that after extensive testing the cake is great! My confidence with silicon is gradually increasing.

Paula went to Velindre today for her check up. Her tumours are growing and she is continuing to lose weight, now just over seven and a half stone. She's decided after consulting with her Marie Curie nurse and her family that when the time comes she wants to be cared for in our local hospice, over at Penarth. If it's anything like as good as Grove House, the hospice in St Albans where I was looked after, she'll be fine. She's already had a visit over there and had a look round, and really likes it there. We're not sure when that will be of course. When Paula was first diagnosed as being terminal, the doctors had tentatively suggested she might have up to two years. That was eighteen months ago, and although her illness is progressing, in many ways she is still living a very normal life. Fortunately, and very happily, she is pretty much pain free, not needing anything stronger than the occasional paracetamol. I am so full of admiration about the way she is dealing with her illness. She is very matter of fact, calm and clear. Her biggest hope was that she would outlive the dogs and that she has accomplished, so I know she feels much less worried about the future. As her friend, I have found it a million times harder than dealing with my own cancer, but my own experiences have been very valuable in preparing me and helping me be a better support to her over the course of the illness.

Lent started this week, and both Andrew and I decided we'd give up alcohol. We get a day off on Sundays, and we've also agreed that as my birthday falls during Lent, that an exception can be made for that, especially as we'll be on holiday in Pembrokeshire. I wouldn't describe us as being normally heavy drinkers but we do really enjoy what we do drink so this will be quite hard, which of course is the point. Giving up something we didn't miss wouldn't be a challenge.

Tomorrow I am doing a quilting course over at Busy Bees. I will write more on this after the event.

No comments: