Tuesday, July 05, 2011



Sunday was another scorcher. We decided to take Boola down to Margam Park for the Dogs Trust Summer Fair and Dog Show. Happily for the Trust, it was incredibly well attended - we guessed into the thousands. Dogs of every shape, size, age and colour (along with their owners), a huge variety of trade stalls, charity stalls, plants, cakes, gifts, tombola, bar, displays and so on. After strolling over to the dog show area, we found that the first class was for Golden Oldies - perfect for Boola. So Andrew entered us, and we trotted into the ring, along with a fabulous assortment of other dogs, many of them rescues that had been homed via the Dogs Trust. The judge (a local vet) came round and had a look at everyone. While we were waiting, Boola decided to embarrass me by weeing enthusiastically over an agility tunnel that was waiting to be used for a display following our class. There was absolutely nothing I could do once he had started.

Anyway, the judge came round, asked us a few questions and had a good look at Boola, who was his usual chilled out self. Then the judge went into a huddle and pulled out five finalists, including us. Now rather nervous, he had another look at us, and to my utter delight gave us the first prize along with the biggest, blingiest rosette I have ever seen - it must have been a foot long. After being presented, a professional photographer came over and took pictures, Andrew came into the ring for some pics and as we headed slowly out, a radio journalist collared me for Real Radio (local radio station) and did a quick interview. I was able to burble out a few words about how greyhounds make fabulous pets which I hope will help. Some pics attached.

Afterwards, we had a look round the stalls, Rita bought some plants and as it was getting hotter and hotter, we decided to take Boola home. Still proudly wearing his rosette, we strolled back to the car, attracting quite a few comments. Once the air con was working it was a smooth, swift journey home and Rita enjoyed watching the tennis final in the afternoon. Like Boola, I must admit I had forty winks in the afternoon. In the evening we had a delicious dinner in the garden - it was lovely to be able to sit out there, with the smell of the jasmine wafting over us.

Rita and Roger joined us for our dog walk on Monday morning and then returned to Somerset. I've been catching up on the Tour - am loving my annual cycle fest. Andy is still limping due to the missing toenail, but is milking the sympathy for all he's worth, which is usually a very good sign.

1 comment:

The Calico Quilter said...

Boola's photo caption: "You can't help but admire me because I am so fabulous. And, by the way, excuse me but I must go claim that tunnel, because I am owner of all I survey." Tinkle, tinkle! Reminds me of the male min pin next door who couldn't walk through the yard without renewing his claim on every object. I honestly don't know how he could wee so much.