Saturday, December 03, 2011

Again, a busy time.  Last Saturday night we went over to Llandaff Cathedral to hear Brahms' German Requiem, sung by the Cathedral Choral Society.  It was absolutely beautiful and sung very well.  The programme also included some Mozart and a short Schubert piece so a real treat all round, including a very beautiful prayer read by the Dean to open proceedings written by John Donne.
Here it is.  




It was the first time I've visited the interior of the Cathedral.  It's an interesting mix architecturally as bits go back to the Norman era (and there have been buildings there even before that) but it was bombed in the war and was subject to extensive enlargement in the Victorian era.  Compared with other cathedrals I've been to, it still feels very small, but the most dominant thing in the building is an Epstein statue of Christ In Majesty which stands on a concrete arch bang in the middle of the nave.  I spent the entire evening looking at it from a variety of angles and I'm sorry to say I couldn't find a single redeeming feature.  It's

Llandaff Cathedral Epstein Statue of Christ In Majesty
hideous.  What I also disliked is the concrete arch it sits on.  To me it was strongly reminiscent of the sort of architecture liked by Communist regimes and Middle East dictators

No comments: