Wednesday, April 16, 2014

My birthday week was busy, and big thanks are due to everyone who sent cards, greetings, Facebook messages etc.  Seems amazing to think I'm less than a year away from being 50.  

On the weekend, Rita and Roger came over to stay.  On Saturday, we went to Roath Producer's Market, a local market for food producers.  We've been before, and though it's small, there are some great stalls.  Bought some great stuff, and it's really nice to meet and talk to producers and particuarly to support those who farm to higher animal welfare standards. 

In the evening, we went to a new gastropub that has recently opened in Cyncoed, called the Discovery.  It's run by the same team that had Wood's Brasserie, which I always loved, so we went with high hopes.  We were not disappointed.  The refurbishment had turned out a really smart, comfortable place, with a fabulous menu and very good service.  We had a stunning meal which we really enjoyed, but and yes, there is a but.  Like many other restaurants, the current fashion is for bare boards, and bare, painted walls.  This looks great, but is a recipe for appalling noise levels. Not surprisingly for a Saturday night, the pub was full, and by the end of the meal, we simply couldn't hear ourselves talk - it was just too noisy.  Is it just me who finds this really difficult and spoils the atmosphere of what should be a relaxing, convivial night out?  Anyway we came home, and stayed up chatting till the small hours.  

I'd definitely go back to the Discovery, and it might be nice to try it at lunchtime when it could be a bit quieter.  

At the end of the week, just before Rita and Roger arrived, out of the blue I had a text from an old friend.  It simply asked me to come visit him at Singleton, one of the two main hospitals in Swansea.  With the weekend preparations in full swing, I couldn't get away immediately but by phone and text, got a bit more info.  He'd had two major strokes, so was immobilised and in need of some company.  So, on Monday, I headed off to Singleton and to visit.  Got stuck in road works on the Mumbles Road outside County Hall, but got there eventually.  Fortunately his room had a magnificent view out over the bay and I was so pleased to see him.  We had a lovely chat, and were then joined by his sister, who I hadn't seen for some years, so it was lovely to see her and catch up.  From my own experience in hospital, I know how important visitors can be, and the impact a smiling face can make.  

Seeing an old friend brought back many happy memories of earlier times, and it was  a bit of a shock to realise that we'd gone out together over twenty five years ago! The odd thing of course is that to me, neither he nor his sister had changed very much - OK, there were a few more grey hairs, and one or two more laughter lines but essentially very much as before.  It hadn't actually been twenty five years since I'd seen him, since we've stayed friends and kept in touch and have met regularly but infrequently through the years.  This, and my birthday, and more recent events, have led recently to me reflecting a great deal on how people enter our lives and continue to have an impact and effect for many years more than you might originally expect. 

No comments: