Monday, June 29, 2009

So, another scorching day. It has also been very humid which I must admit I dislike intensely. I much prefer a dry heat, which is one of the reasons I love the Canaries - there, the climate is sunny, dry and breezy and absolute bliss. We spent the day up in Powys, doing the final cleaning of the rental property before returning the keys to the estate agent. Andrew mowed the lawn and re-arranged some fencing that we had put in place to safely accommodate the dogs. I indulged in an orgy of mopping, dusting, wiping and polishing - so ensuring the bungalow was left as I would wish to find it. Incredibly hot work - both of us were literally dripping when we finished. The temp was 28 when we were returning to Cardiff - thank goodness for aircon in the car - at least that way the dogs could be travelling safely and in comfort.
Further to some phone calls when we got back, it looks likely that Murgatroyd will be rehomed on Wednesday. Once again, I feel this dreadful tug of emotions; happiness that she could have a loving permanent home and sadness at seeing her go - she is such a character. I will miss her little wonky nose as it gets into all sorts of mischief. Ironically, and this is true of so many physical characteristics, it is her nose that I now love the most about her - it is her special characteristic. I can think of a number of people who have distinctive features (particularly facial) who don't like them - but again,they are often what makes them so wonderfully unique. Heaven forbid we all get into a Botoxed and lifted ubiquity.
Andrew did one of my all time favourite dishes tonight - tomato salad with mozzarella - incredibly simple, but so delicious. We didn't have any fresh basil, so he made a pesto dressing - yummy. Then we watched the first of the Bourne trilogy - nice to see Matt Damon, especially when he had his kit off and had clearly been working out quite a bit. Now it is time for bed. Hoping to be up early in the morning so we can walk the dogs before it gets too hot.

No comments: