Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Today was due to be the day that Murgatroyd went off to her new forever home. I've had incredibly ambivalent feelings about it - on the one hand I am so delighted for her, but I cannot deny it will be a wrench saying goodbye to this adorable creature. After the couple made contact last night, we arranged for them to visit us today at 5, for a quick look-see and then hopefully to take her home with them. The day has been awful - as I was doing the housework, a little face would come up by mine, nudging me for a tickle, or I'd walk into the room and find her roaching on the sofa, wagging her tail at me with a big grin on her face. In short, she was being particularly herself - loving, playful and mischievous. I prepared all her paperwork and had already made up a mini scrapbook of photos and notes for her new owners. There was even a little coat that some kind friends had given her.
Anyway, at 5, the very nice couple turned up, came in and had a chat and were introduced. I went out to the kitchen to make everyone a cup of tea and found that on my return she was enjoying being tickled and all seemed to be going well. Just as I was about to pull out the paperwork for signing, the husband announced that she had the wrong sort of fur and that he could feel he was allergic to her (chest tightening, typical allergic reaction, similar to that Andrew has with cats). I couldn't believe it. They were extremely apologetic - no need - I am only glad we found out before she had been settled with them. It would have been extremely disruptive for her and upsetting for them to have started the bonding process only to abandon it later. Now we go back to putting her on the website and I expect we will have a lot of interest in her. But I really don't want to go through a day like that again in a hurry. Am now feeling quite drained. Ho hum.

1 comment:

The Calico Quilter said...

Too bad I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic or I'd be campaigning to take Murgatroyd! I know I wouldn't be a first choice - only a fenced garden, and not a cow in sight. Although she could chase chipmunks. (On second thought, I really DO need to get a dog - I'm overrun with chipmunks.) I know a good candidate will show up soon - how could anyone resist?