Sunday, January 31, 2010







Another busy week. Although I can't remember the last time I could write "another dull week - the days just dragged by" - that is just so not me. Andrew was away for a couple of days, and I went to ECDL on Thursday evening - did a mock exam in my database module. Not quite there but more revision this week and then I'm quietly optimistic.

My friend celebrated her birthday and loved the table topper I made for her which is great. Now we're involved in a Valentine conspiracy with reposting of cards to ensure they have a postmark well away from their source. Great fun. Also in the post this week was a wonderful invitation to a book launch written by a family friend - so exciting and I'm so proud of her. It's being held in Swansea at the Dylan Thomas Theatre (very appropriately) and there's a reception with some readings too. I can't wait.

I've been busy this week with a quilting project found on the Moda Bakestore website. It's dangerous going on there as I invariably fall in love with some fabric or get ideas for projects. Anyway, the project was to make a little bag, with a lining, handles and a magnetic closure. Doesn't sound too complicated you're thinking, and you'd be right. That isn't what I was thinking yesterday - I followed the instructions but needed Andrew to come and give me a hand when it came to the magnetic snaps in interpreting the written words. I also got myself in a complete pickle when it came to sewing the different layers together, eventually taking three goes. At my first attempt the handles ended up sewn inside the linings ( I still don't know how) then I ended up with the handles and the lining looking beautiful but the outside of the bag was inside out. At this stage, I was cursing and the seam ripper was red hot. Finally I got it, did the final stitching and drank what must have been the largest and most deserved gin and tonic in the universe. Still, this was my first time making any sort of bag and in fact I am thrilled with how it has turned out. My next idea is to make a cheerful 1950's style frilly pinny for glamour while doing housework. Why should domestic duties be done in boring clothes? Life is too short.

Yesterday, I took part in the annual event of the RSPB Great Garden Birdwatch. Anyone who reads regularly knows I love birds, have done since childhood thanks to keen parents and our postman, and take enormous pleasure and satisfaction from watching and studying them. I was looking forward to the birdwatch as although our Cardiff home is not blessed with the diversity we experienced up at Builth, the variety of birds in the garden has steadily increased and improved as the garden has matured, the pond has settled and we have continued to provide bird food of various types (typically, we put out dried mealworms, a seed mix, peanuts and suet fatballs). We have a cast of "regulars", some "occasionals" and the odd exotic visitor that adds to the excitement. We have tried our best to create a garden that is not only beautiful for us but respects biodiversity and uses the absolute minimum of artificial weedkillers or other substances that might harm our wildlife. Although the garden is barely four years old, it already has a surprisingly mature feel and I am very encouraged by the variety of life we have managed to attract. Hedgehogs regularly visit, we have bats, many frogs, possible newts, lots of butterflies and of course lots of lovely birds.

So, I topped up the fat balls and the meal worms, made myself a cuppa and settled down on the sofa with my notebook to record who popped in. A modest haul, with our regular flock of sparrows, the blackbird scuttling along the floor, the robin hopping and jaunty, a magpie who flew in for some mealworms and a lovely assortment of great tits and blue tits. Sadly the long tailed tits didn't visit during the hour sample and later in the day I saw the grey wagtail (confusingly named, as it is very yellow!) who is one of our "occasionals".
Today we booked a session over at the greyhound field which was made even more exciting by the presence of next door's goats en masse in the environs of the greyhound paddock (albeit, thankfully, in the outer area not the secure inner core). Apart from the honking smell of the billy this also meant that the dogs went absolutely potty with excitement with Andy trying to burrow under the fence, Booty trying to go through the fence directly and Boola the only one with any sign of residual sanity. This all meant that the dogs were hurtling about like lunatics (when not burrowing or charging) so when home, they promptly collapsed in a heap and have barely stirred all night, except to eat some scraps from our shoulder of lamb with garlic and rosemary that we ate earlier. As I write, Andrew is relaxing in a deep bath of fragrant bubbles and I'm catching up with some stuff on the computer. It's been an eventful weekend but a very enjoyable one. Some pics attached from the greyhound field, including the offending goats.

No comments: