Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Hello, all. Firstly, many apologies for the hiatus in posting. Things have been a bit topsy-turvy. Also, my digital camera battery has given up holding a charge and I haven't as yet replaced it. So no very recent pictures. This is frustrating in a number of ways as I want to photograph the growing collection of quilt blocks, the garden, the greyhounds (as always!) and the beautiful autumn we are having with some spectacular colours.

I am also considering changing my online presence - possible options include a craft-focused website as well as or instead of the blog. I'd welcome comments and feedback. Email me on Kathryn_woodhouse@btinternet.com if you want to share a view, make a comment or be kept informed of any new addresses.

So, quilt blocks. The latest one to complete is called a "Nosegay" which is an unfortunate name. It is very similar to an eight pointed star and if I make it again that is how I would prefer to do it. But set in to one corner is an icecream cone shape which represents the bunch of flowers, with diamond shaped "blooms" radiating round. I realise I am not describing this very well, and it would benefit really from a photo, so I will try to remedy the battery situation asap. This was the hardest block so far (even harder than the Dresden Plate) but in a curious way, the most satisfying. Class tonight, and we will be doing another block using applique embroidery (that should have an acute accent, I realise).

I have decided that I like quilting and will be carrying on with the class after Christmas which will be venturing into machine quilting. Then things will be really able to take off and I have a few plans for making some quilts as gifts. I am also eager to do a classic patchwork one - the shop has some lovely pre-cut patch assortments which are very (allegedly) easy to piece together especially if you have a machine. I don't at the moment, but we are researching one as a Christmas present. Our tutor has been giving several of us in the class some pointers as to what to look for as a few of us want to buy one. More on this as it develops.

No comments: