Friday, October 17, 2008




A busy couple of days. I don't usually post my craft stuff on this blog, as that's what my other one is for, but thought I would include a photo of the latest sampler, which is just back from the framer. We're taking it to Swansea on the weekend to present to a much loved great aunt as a present for her 90th birthday.


Also include the muffins I made yesterday for the young master's colleagues. They turned out very well, although I have made more cream cheese frosting than I need, so now have some spare in the fridge. Photo attached of me in domestic goddess mode. You can just my greyhound sous-chef's nose in the bottom of the pic.


On Thursday night, we went to Swansea for a greyhound meeting to talk about the new website for the charity - Andrew has been doing some work on this. We've now agreed on the layout and the look and feel of the site, and the key headings/timescales, which is a lot of progress.


Took the young master to the train station this morning for the 6.55 a.m. train, and it was still dark at that time. It was just getting light as I took the woofs round Hamadryad afterwards and nice to see the dawn coming up over the St. David's Hotel. It is noticeably much colder now in the mornings - definately can feel winter on its way. Coming home, the bird feeders are awash with sparrows and blue tits - they are getting through the fat balls at great speed. Have done battle with the ironing - helped to tame the mountain a bit, I think.
The main news is that I've been to the optician for a routine eye test and am getting some reading glasses. She said that I am at the stage where it's not yet imperative I wear them, but is recommended. I will be wearing them, as I had begun to notice difficulty when stitching, and I don't want anything to prevent that. To me this is one of those milestones - so yes, I am now officially middle-aged. What else? I was thinking about it, and here's my list - I'd welcome comments.
  • You prefer a wine merchant to a happy hour.
  • You prefer Sunday morning to Saturday night.
  • You hate Radio 1.
  • You find yourself voluntarily listening to Radio 2 (I can't stand Steve Wright though).
  • You go to bed at the time when you used to go out.
  • You think it's a good idea to wear a vest.
  • Hair colour is about covering grey as much as the choice of shade.
  • You realise you remember fashion references from the first time round - aargh!
  • The 80s bands you liked as a teenager are now doing nostalgia tours....
  • You drive an estate car (although of course it's a badge of honour for middle aged men to go through a sports car phase, usually followed by a torrid affair with a blonde phase)
  • When the Lancome lady gives you a trial pot, it's for the anti-ageing cream, not the one for young skins..... sigh.....
  • Students look ridiculously young - are they really old enough to leave home?
  • You become invisible to younger men.
  • You are intensely irritated by speech littered with "like" every third word, excessive use of "Know what I mean?" and you hate mumbling. The soothingly articulate sounds of Radio 4 announcers are as honey to your ears.
  • Speaking of honey, you worry about bees. And butterflies. And birds. And biodiversity in general.

No comments: