Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I was awoken this morning at around 7 by Booty, insistently barking and demanding urgently to be let out. I stumbled downstairs with her, still half-asleep and let her out into an amazing sight - the garden covered in a thick, silver white frost, the first of the year. A bit later, we took the dogs over to Tredegar, also frosty and beautiful. The sky was an amazing clear blue, with loads of vivid red leaves on the trees - really spectacular. Andy and Booty were breaking the ice on puddles. As we walked round the lake, we saw the usual quota of ducks and swans. Just as we reached the end of the circuit in front of the house facade, we saw a flash of vivid turquoise. Stopping dead, we could see a kingfisher in the branches by the boathouse - wonderful. Unfortunately, at that moment, Andy spotted a squirrel, and so began his high pitched squeak of excitement. Not surprisingly, much too loud for the kingfisher, but we got a grandstand view of it flying across the lake like a jewelled torpedo.

Rest of the day spent in various activities to do with the move and visit tomorrow from favourite aunty for the craft show at the CIA over the weekend. I've now reached the pre-move stage of muttering to myself and wandering in circles checking on where I have put things, looking for things, then putting them down again etc... Not long to go now though.

This evening, marinaded some free range chicken thighs and drumsticks for tomorrow evening. A Nigella recipe - with the chicken in a mix of vegetable oil, buttermilk, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper and a dash of maple syrup. It smells divine, and the buttermilk should make it incredibly moist. All I have to do tomorrow is roast it for around half an hour. Serving it with a home-made pecan coleslaw and probably a variation of potato boulangere, with a syrup roly-poly pudding to follow.

Andrew looked at me this evening and told me gently but firmly that I needed to relax and have a bath. As usual, he was absolutely spot on and I had a good soak in some Molton Brown Heavenly Gingerlily with enough bubbles to make the bathroom look like Ibiza. After 11 years of marriage (anniversary very soon!!) he is brilliant at spotting when I am working myself into a tangle of worry and even better at unwinding me.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Good luck with the move. I hope it all goes smoothly. Don't forget to let me have your new address once you're settled... J x