Thursday, January 22, 2009

Not a lot of what you might call "hard" news. It's been a fairly quiet week. Unfortunately, I've succumbed to Andrew's cold - am just feeling so miserable at the moment. Not as miserable as Jonathan - see link to his blog on the sidebar - he's gone down with adult chickenpox - horrible. As he points out, when you have cancer, they give you lovely morphine so you sail through it in a delightful haze, but no morphine for the insane itching. You keep reading that heroin is widely available at cheap rates, someone could make a killing making a sort of heroin-lite for just these sorts of occasions. It would probably be cheaper than Lemsip. To make matters worse, he also says he has an ingrowing toenail - I'm afraid I actually laughed at that although I am sympathetic really. There's a kind of mad inevitability about that type of thing - one sort of illness often seems to lead to another, unrelated, non life threatening, but the sort of thing that is painful and annoying on a daily basis. So is the dignity of man compromised.

On a marginally more positive note, I joined Twitter today. I wanted to keep up with Lance Armstrong's progress down under and had read that he was on it, along with millions of other people. Unfortunately, my posts are considerably less glamourous than Lance's, but I'm sure I'll get into my stride, particularly when I'm feeling a bit better. Lance would probably be very cross with both Jonathan and myself, saying we were letting the side down, and that pain is part of life, and is character building. I just feel terribly British about this and quite like feeling sorry for myself at the moment,and will now go and make myself a hot drink before bed.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Pain - character forming? Ha! Plus thanks for laughing at the in-growing toenail... Sorry to hear you're feeling poorly too. Rest assured I'm sending you good wishes from my home/prison in Manchester. And thanks for your good wishes over the last couple of days. J x