Sunday, January 04, 2009









Hello all, and a happy new year to all my readers. We are enjoying some of the coldest weather I can recall for a long time, with temperatures yesterday at -6 and today I woke up to find the river had FROZEN in large places. I felt very sorry for the heron. Outside it is snowing, very lightly and inside I am cursing the poor insulation, draughty windows and generally dodgy heating in the bungalow. At least bed will be toasty as we've got the winter weight duvet on the bed, and are frequently joined by greyhounds seeking a bit of warmth, who themselves act as giant hot water bottles. They don't generally leak and they arguably smell nicer, but have more boney bits.

For the new year, Rita and Roger joined us and we had a very pleasant few days, although incredibly cold. On Friday we went over to the Felin Fach Griffin to celebrate Rita's birthday - I strongly recommend. We booked via Toptable - a very useful website for restaurant booking and reviews. On arrival at our table, nicely positioned by the Aga, so very toasty, glasses of bubbly were waiting for us, courtesy of the website - what a lovely touch! Had a truly gorgeous meal, with excellent service, fantastic wine and very reasonable prices considering the superb quality. Definately one to revisit.

Today's been quiet, allowing us to have a rest and catch up. Snow has been gently falling in the garden and all the little birds are fluffed up against the cold.
Finally, one last thing. Following the success of my Christmas card offer I am repeating the offer on my other blog. If you would like a handmade birthday card this year, please email me with your address and the relevant date (and age, if appropriate) and I will oblige. Enough notice for postage and creativity much appreciated. I'd love to see what continents my cards can visit this year.

No comments: