Friday, April 17, 2009







This week has flown by. On Monday, it was the Greyhound Rescue Wales Easter Fun Day down in Pontardawe with fancy dress classes, an Easter egg hunt and a greyhound walk. By some miracle the sun shone and it didn't rain. Enjoyed ourselves and took some great pics. Paco got his first ever rosette, and Andy and Booty enjoyed seeing him. At one point, Paco jumped straight into the boot of our car for a lie down while Andrew was talking to Anna! Some pics attached of the day, including Paco's amazing costume.

By Tuesday, which Andrew had off, both tired (us and the dogs) and a day of catching up. Andrew updated the GRW website. With Andrew going back to work on Wednesday the week has been completely haywire - I keep losing track of the days. On Wednesday morning, I had to pop down to the surgery for a blood test. Lovely nurse, but the usual problem with my veins. Eventually after a lot of prodding and using a small needle, we got some. Now got a nice bruise. Sometimes, I really do wish I could be fitted with a small tap for these occasions.

Thursday, yesterday, was a tiring day. I was one of a chain of people transporting a greyhound from north to south Wales, where she was coming from her current owner to her new home near Swansea. I collected her at Oswestry, and brought her back here for a break in the journey. Then back in the car and onwards down to Merthyr for another handover. Although we took some photos of her, and she is a beautiful bitch, I have decided not to post them. Sadly, her condition is such that many people would find it distressing. All I can say about it is that I was speechless when I first saw her, but the only thing I keep focusing on is that she is now in a position where she is being cared for properly. As I get older, I am no longer surprised by the way people treat both children and animals, particularly when there are other issues in their lives. This is not to say for a moment that I condone it (far from it) and I still find it shocking at a visceral level - quite literally, my stomach churns. It just seems to happen so often.

What seems to make it worse in some ways is that quite often dogs are so forgiving. In this case, the bitch had been neglected rather than abused (I realise this may sound like an academic distinction when looking at the result). After I had fed her and sat down for a coffee (wishing it was a strong gin!) she decided to join me on the sofa and curled up for a cuddle. Happily, I'll be able to get updates on her progress from my fellow volunteers.



1 comment:

The Calico Quilter said...

The costume is fantastic, and the best part is that the dog does not appear to mind wearing it. Regarding the rehomed greyhound - good for you all! That's a noble effort. Regardless of what I know people are capable of (and it's pretty bad) I am still shocked down to my shoes when I see a badly abused or neglected animal. And the fact that many people rationalize it away - "It's just a dog, not a person". Sickening. It's wonderful to know there are people like you helping those defenseless creatures.