Wednesday, April 29, 2009




Yesterday was not the best of days. Both by natural inclination, training and experience, I generally try to be positive and seek the best in situations, but yesterday was one of those days when a number of individually minor (but collectively not so) issues seemed to be batting me round the head. I won't go into too much detail, as this will then rapidly become a whinge; but be reassured, dear readers, nothing terribly serious and I'm sure normal service will soon be resumed. It's also nice to be able occasionally to have the luxury of a bad day. As a cancer survivor, the narrative drive is for each day to be a blessing gratefully received and on the whole I'd tend to agree. This can easily become a tyranny of positivity though; because of that terrible awareness of the fragility and preciousness of life it is too easy to feel guilty at time not gainfully spent or lived in a purposeful and conscious way. Actually, the great gift is to spend time without counting it in miserly handfuls and sometimes that will include days where not very much happens, objectives aren't met, moods don't lift and shit just happens.

Today was different. I had a busy domestic morning, enlivened by the delivery of the post. Andy was determined to kill it - one of the items was a package of photographs I had printed out for some scrapbooking. Definately a case of testing to destruction. I am happy and relieved to report that Photobox send out pictures in an excellent greyhound-proof package. Again, praise, the photos were uploaded and ordered on Monday and arrived today. Very impressive. To facilitate my scrapbooking, I ordered a big bundle of photo credits at the start of the year so now all I have to do is upload and order my prints without having to worry about paying for them.

Got my sewing machine out this afternoon and finally finished my sofa snuggle quilt. I don't normally post much about craft stuff on this blog, and will do a more detailed post about it on my craft blog over at Silver Nutmeg. However, especially after yesterday, this was just what I needed. The colours are lovely - a Moda range called "At Waters Edge", full of soft browns, blues, dusty pinks and old golds. I attach a couple of pics.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Everyone deserves a crap day. They are to be celebrated because they make all other days seem so much better. I advocate sinking into a slump of self-pity and wallowing in whining and whinging for a whole 24 hours. And why not? Its only one day in a hundred (2 hundred? 3 hundred?) and it doesn't hurt anyone. Being cheerful can be a pain in the arse if you ask me. I support your right to be a miserable git. You go girl. J x