Monday, May 11, 2009
















A good morning to all. First, to update on the patient. I took her back to the vet on Friday morning for her post-op checkup. While there, she also had her final vaccination (oh my, the howling!). Had a chat to both vets as one had done the spaying and the other had stepped in to do the dental as there had been a farm emergency to call the first vet away. Both vets are lovely and very happy to discuss/explain their work, which is such a good thing. Her staples will need to stay in for approximately another week. Since then, she has been doing very well. Eating and drinking has been normal (i.e. voracious) and she has been able to hop on to the sofa and even the bed, although she squeaks a bit when she gets down sometimes. Fortunately, she is showing very little interest in her wound, with minimal licking/nibbling, although I'm guessing it will start to itch as the healing process goes on. I just hope she doesn't try to take the staples out herself!

We had an early start on Saturday morning as I had a long awaited day down in Barry for an ATC meet. We piled the dogs into the car along with lots of stuff, and made sufficiently good time to get back to the Cardiff house via Marks and Spencer, where I wanted to buy a raffle prize and a packed lunch. Being in the country, we don't get sushi, so I was delighted to treat myself to a packet of sushi for lunch and a few other things for the weekend and the freezer. Getting to the house, I then made a quick sort out of what was to go with me and what to stay and then shot upstairs before we left. Had a wonderful time at the ATC meet - more on this over at Silver Nutmeg with pics too. Spoke to Andrew during the lunch break and he said "You haven't got your sushi, have you?" I just thought I had left it at the house in the rush. He had found the empty box upstairs in one of the bedrooms, being cuddled by a guilty greyhound. My only consolation is that itis very healthy and might be good for his brain.
The day finished around 5.30 and Andrew collected me. Back to the house, Andrew had a relaxing bath and our friends Anna, Rebecca and greyhound Paco came round for a pizza-fest. With FOUR greyhounds in the house and garden, it was delightfully chaotic. As the weather was so nice we were able to sit outside for pre-dinner drinks and nibbles. The garden is looking particularly lovely at the moment. Anna and Bec loved Murgatroyd - well, who wouldn't? Also hugely impressed as Anna is now a week into giving up smoking - massive kudos to her. Finished the evening with coffee and brownies and then upstairs to our bunk beds. All three greys decided to come in and lie on the floor near us, with M making a little nest for herself with some cushions and Andrew's running kit. Went out like a light as I was absolutely shattered.
Sunday morning, Andrew got up very early and left around 7.15 for Bristol, where he was running in the 10K. This is the only race he's done where I haven't gone with him - it was very odd for both of us. We waved him off and Ihad a coffee and a leisurely potter. The race began at 9.30 and his time was probably a PB but we are waiting for the final chip time to be posted on the race website. To my surprise, he was back very quickly as the post race distribution of medals, goody bag, bag retrieval and so on were apparently working like clockwork and he was able to get back to the car very quickly. It was a big race with over 5000 people running. Meanwhile I was sitting out in the garden,catching up on the paper, surrounded by basking hounds. Later in the day, I found I had actually caught the sun. After he returned, he had a shower and we loaded up the car and tidied the house. Set off back up here and passed a quiet afternoon. Enjoyed a pork loin from the farm shop and distributed crackling to the eager hounds - much appreciated. After catching up with some TV from Sky+, went to bed and was out like a light. Woke up this morning to find Booty on the bed snuggled up against my legs. As I write this there is a squirrel enjoying the sunflower seeds on the bird table and the heron has been busy fishing in the river this morning. Now for a busy day of domestic duties.
I attach some pics. One of me at the ATC day, a couple of Anna and Bec at the house - Bec is the one waving the plate! M sunbathing - you can clearly see the shaved area of her belly for the operation and Andy and Booty also relaxing - Andy is wearing his master's race medal proudly. Finally the title picture is of the clematis and roses in the Cardiff garden.

No comments: