Thursday, May 07, 2009







Mainly greyhound related news this post. On Monday was the annual Greyhound Fun Day held in conjunction with Arena Pontardawe. We decided it would be best if Andrew stayed at home, since Murgatroyd hasn't yet had her final injection. So off I toddled in sunshine, but as I headed south and west the weather became steadily worse. Around Craig-y-nos castle it started raining, and continued drizzling as I arrived on site. People were clamouring to enter pretty much from the moment I arrived. My job was to take the entries and payments for each class, liaise with the judge and ensure the correct rosettes were provided for each class. Unfortunately, the gazebo we used last year died at the end of the summer and hadn't yet been replaced so taking entries became a nightmare as ink ran and the paper slowly disintegrated. Fortunately it didn't prevent a good turn out and remarkably cheerful atmosphere, enjoyed by all. Got home cold, wet, muddy and tired but pleased it had been a good day. Also had some very good news about the greyhound I transported a few weeks back who was in a terrible state. She has gained 4 kg and is settled wonderfully into her new home - such a happy ending makes everything worthwhile. Pic attached of the show, and also of Murgatroyd's birthday pavlova.









Andrew went back to work on Tuesday and I had as quiet a day as humanly possible. Wednesday was Murgatroyd's big day - her operation (spaying) and while she was under general anaesthetic, a dental for her teeth which are in pretty poor shape. I think I was more nervous than she was - when we walked round to the vet, she wagged her tail at everyone and looked quite happy which just made me feel worse. Off she went with the nurse and then it was home for the long wait. The spaying went well and the dental did too, although that took a long time. We picked up the patient at around 5.45 and she was walking, but completely glazed over and very wobbly. Fortunately she slept most of the evening and passed a quiet night. Today she has steadily improved through the day. She is clearly still stiff and sore but has been eating and drinking normally and going out the garden regularly. She seems to have the twinkle back in her eye and I am pleased with the progress she has made. Tomorrow I am taking her back for a post-op check-up - she has ten staples in her wound - so far, they look OK. I will try to take some pics of her tomorrow.

1 comment:

The Calico Quilter said...

I know my husband wouldn't approve and it's a very good thing there's an ocean between Murgatroyd and me or I'd take her in an instant! I'm usually a cat person, but I always have loved greyhounds. My husband, however, is a confirmed cat-only sort, so I doubt there will ever be a hound in my future.