Thursday, May 28, 2009













The young master has been off all this week and it's been lovely to enjoy him being around, with relaxing days although the weather hasn't been particularly good. Booty's ear continues to recover, although it still looks gungy. I received a parcel yesterday - I ordered a really pretty summer dress via the internet - black and white and sleeveless, showing remarkable optimism about sunshine to come. Of course, since then it's mainly poured down but we've got a night at WNO coming up for La Boheme so I'll be able to wear it for that.
Today we had a day out, going over to Strata Florida Abbey, in Ceredigion between Aberystwyth and Tregaron. We were delighted to find they allow dogs, so were able to take the pack, which was nice as we didn't then have to clock watch. Showery all the way there although the rain held off while we were visiting. The abbey was the first Cistercian foundation in Wales, founded around 1200, and was an important focal point in Welsh politics as the monks often acted as brokers between warring factions. Many Welsh princes are buried there, leading it to be known as the Westminster Abbey of Wales, although I must admit I think this is stretching it a bit. It is a truly beautiful spot, with a peaceful atmosphere and a fascinating history, and I recommend it wholeheartedly as a place to visit. I last visited it on a summer holiday day out aged about ten I think - I remember wearing my red Pacamac. Coming back we took the mountain road south of Tregaron, back to Beulah - an astoundingly gorgeous route, full of wild mountains, waterfalls, hillsides covered with bluebells, red kites, fresh green trees and hardly anyone else around. Amazing. On the way home, we stopped off at the New Inn at Newbridge on Wye - the pub has a butchers shop attached where they sell meat from their own animals. We popped in earlier in the week, but there was a scrawled note up saying "Closed - gone fishing" which made me smile. This time they were open, and we bought some home cured bacon, home made sausages and one of their home made pies.
I attach some pictures taken at the Abbey and will put some also up on Facebook.

No comments: