Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Well, my first ever blog entry. I started this because I wanted to submit a post on my cousin's blog, and to do that, I had to log on so thought hey why not?
There aren't any other blogs that I'm aware of that deal with my line of work in the UK, but I'd love to hear of any others , or from similar around the world. My blog will be telling it as it is for my job, which is as an Operational Manager for Street Cleaning, Public Toilets and Waste Enforcement in a large UK city. I won't name which one, although I have no doubt astute readers will eventually pick up clues. That of course assumes there will be readers.

So my day today. Away from my normal lair, and off to the bigg bad world of corporate HQ for our regular Tuesday get together with my boss. He and his secretary (who is lovely) have recently moved there from our depot. They hate it, as it's formal, stuffy and no fun. It was his first day backfrom his leave and he looked relaxed and brown, although it prob won't last.... the authority has budget issues (particularly with Social Services) so watch all us front line staff take the hit cos they can't control their budget. Bitter, moi? After that, got together with one of the other managers, as we are looking at setting up a joint project for smoking bins (smoking indoors will be banned next year, thank goodness, but that will mean a lot more litter for us to clear). Then back to the lair. I like my office. Dealt with the usual tidal wave of email, talked to colleagues, and spent the afternoon putting together a bunch of self congratulatory nonsense for the update of the corporate plan on how we met our objectives for last year. who cares? Most members of the public want to see their streets swept today, not last year. Finished up by putting on my out of office autoreply, washing my coffee mug and tidying up my office. I hate starting the day in a messy office. Tomorrow morning I am going to a meeting in a leisure centre to talk about community planning...... hmmmm. Should be interesting. Apparently I am a key stakeholder. Sounds like something out of Buffy...

No comments: