Thursday, July 10, 2008

Inundation. How else to describe yesterday and today? Near constant rain, heavy, persistent, soaking. We seem to be constantly mopping floors, needing lights on against the darkness and generally feeling very un-summery. Every time the dogs go out the garden they return soaking wet, even after only a couple of minutes.

Received some news today (long expected) that confirms my employment with Cardiff will almost certainly come to an end early next week. Cue a mass breakout at Lamby Way of singing "Hurray, the witch is dead." We have no particular ties to the city (my roots are in Swansea and its western environs) and Andrew's work can be carried out anywhere in the UK provided he has access to good transport links. Accordingly, I think it unlikely that we will make our permanent home here. The friends I have made since moving here are generally greyhound related and if we stay in Wales would continue. Can only think of a few people from work I would want to stay in touch with - inevitably,and quite naturally, work relationships generally wither without the daily contact and work setting. And of course there is the equally important point that very few people would be wanting to stay in touch with me, particularly as I have never made much of an attempt to win any popularity contests. This has been brought home to me recently as I have been surprised by the deafening silence from colleagues. My handy site stats show that the blog is receiving a lot of readers from the Council, averaging around a dozen a day with peaks well above that. I suspect people are reading it in the hope of work related gossip or the online equivalent of gawping at a car crash - sort of cyber rubberneckers. A number of other blogs have been writing about my departure for some time so I suspect that for most people it will be old news. Further reflections on my time with Cardiff will follow.

1 comment:

everest nearly full said...

Hi Kathryn/Kate you might not belive me but there are quite a few people who work for C.C.C. that will miss you, myself being one of them. You were always direct, to the point and kept certain people well under control.
I do read your blog quite often (from home of course)its gr8 to see that you are enjoying life with the dogs and your hubby.
What you've done for and with the dogs charity is fantastic.
Feel free to contact me on the attached email address, workmates may wither but some of us still respect you and wish you were still working alongside us.
e5376@aol.com