Tuesday, December 30, 2008


Picture attached of fave auntie Hilary opening one of her Christmas presents on Sunday. I travelled down to Swansea to see her and it was great to catch up. As I left, she gave me a precious gift - her home made mince pies (with home made mincemeat) and some of her homemade sausage rolls. She makes these with sausagemeat from her butcher, who makes it himself, and the quality is excellent. Andrew and I usually end up fighting over them!


A quick praise for the local GP surgery. I decided to register, as I needed to renew a prescription. To my amazement, the surgery has a clear, helpful well laid out website. When I got there, the building was clean, bright and welcoming with smiling,helpful receptionists. They have an open surgery system. After completing my forms, I saw a GP and was out in minutes. Wow! No fuss, no bother, no grumpy dragons on reception, no phoning for hours to get an appointment three weeks next Tuesday - just wow. Why can't this be the norm? Anyway, it just adds to the growing list of reasons of why I'm glad we moved to the country.


Afterwards, we popped into Hay and Brecon Farmers (rapidly becoming my favourite store) for some supplies. Picked up some dog kibble, and industrial sized bottles of fabric conditioner and washing tablets at ludicrously low prices. Andrew got himself a new pair of boots, and again commented on how cheap they were. Anyway, got to the checkout, paid and the guy cheerfully picked up some of the boxes and carried them out to the car for us, without being asked. Would this happen in Cardiff? I think not. So, reason no. 73 joins the list.

Have been pottering in the kitchen this afternoon as Andrew's parents arrive tomorrow for a new year stay. Have made some roasted vegetable soup for lunch tomorrow and played around with a bread recipe, that involves greek yoghurt, maple syrup, oats and pumpkin seeds. Watch this space to see how it turns out. I love experimenting with different mixes of flours and recipes. Andrew has also been making a lamb and date tagine for tomorrow evening, so the kitchen smelled wonderful. While we were cooking, two happily hopeful hounds were perched by the kitchen door with that expectant look on their faces.... aaah.

No comments: