Tuesday, December 23, 2008

An exciting start to the morning. Readers may recall my success a little while back with my cranberry buns - made with a Chelsea bun dough and a filling of fresh cranberries and pecans. Inspired by these, I made some more CBD this morning (bless my little breadmaker) and have just filled it with home-made mincemeat, recently given to us by Penny, a greyhound friend. The buns are now in the oven, smelling gorgeous as they bake. When they are cooled I will ice them, and they'll then be ready to eat. Andrew won't like them, as he is not a mincemeat fan, so I will make him some festive cake tomorrow before he comes home from work. Probably a sponge, with a buttercream icing. While I was just sorting out the buns, the doorbell rang and I went and signed for a mystery case of wine. Earlier, the bell went while I was in the shower, but fortunately the courier was able to leave the parcel on the doorstep. I had ordered a pair of pyjamas in the Lands End sale (you definately need them on these cold nights up here) and treated myself to a fleece top - bright red with snowflakes. This is no time for taste and restraint.

Just been listening to Womans Hour, featuring the wonderful Mary Berry, queen of Aga cooking and cake baking. I bought one of her cake books years ago, via the Book People in work, and it was a fantastic investment. The book has become more and more splodged, splattered and flour-dusted - always the sign of a well-used and loved cookbook. Her recipes are simple, reliable (unlike some celebrity chefs I could name!) and clear. Over the years, I have had great success with her traybakes, her sponges and she even provided the recipe for our wedding cake - a wonderful chocolate confection. Now it's time to brave the threatening pile of ironing - I could swear I just saw movement in there!

No comments: