Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Lots to say. Important news first. Went down to Cardiff last night and stayed at the house, in preparation for my annual oncology checkup this morning, the most important day of the year. Difficult to describe the range of emotions, especially as Jonathan's blog (see sidebar) had been much on my mind recently with different aspects of cancer. The checkup incurs a range of feelings, from straightforward terror ranging to anticipation, eagerness and even a kind of resignation at some points. Anyway, as usual, I slept appallingly last night - this always happens in the run up to the date - although I did have the excuse that Booty had jumped on my bunk and had nailed down the duvet, ensuring a draught about my extremities. As always, I choose the earliest available appointment in the morning - partly cos I want to get it over with, and partly to avoid delays due to late running. Anyway, I turned up on time (I have never been late for a medical appt in my life) and the waiting room filled and filled and filled with more and more anxious women. The tension was palpable. Nobody comes to an oncology clinic without good reason and we all looked more and more miserable. No doctors for three quarters of an hour, then they began seeing people. Ho hum. What's particularly miserable also is that you have to access the clinic via the antenatal services - everywhere you look there are hugely pregnant women, shops selling balloons, posters about baby care and midwives and then there's us - there's not even a sign to the clinic, almost as though they want to keep us quiet. The award for sensitivity should go to the person who planned the layout. Anyway, as usual, once you get into the clinic, the staff are wonderful - so warm, so reassuring and very helpful. When my time came, met with a very young doctor, who hadn't yet got the physical skills of some of her colleagues (both nursing and medical) but was very thorough. Back in a year, all being well, when I will, if all appendages remain tightly crossed, then "graduate" from oncology checkups and return to "normality", although in the privileged position of being able to ring the clinic for an emergency appointment if I ever notice symptoms. This has been drilled into us repeatedly, but once one of the doctors explained that not everyone who notices symptoms comes in even though they have a good idea of what they mean - especially because, I guess. The thought of going through it a second time may just be too much for some people - I used to be very gung-ho about it, but over time I have become much more understanding of this position.

After we came out, I felt the usual mixture of emotions; elation, relief, exhaustion and a combination of wanting to burst into tears and do star jumps round the car park. Instead I waddled across to the car, found my phone and began texting the good news to the usual suspects. Back to the house, via a sustaining and completely unhealthy breakfast at Greggs (which I shared with the woofs) and then a parting of marital ways as I disappeared for a dental hygienist appt and Andrew met the first of the scheduled estate agents. When I returned, all agents had been seen, and we went over to Culverhouse Cross to do a quick canter round Markles and Sparkles food hall for some Christmas goodies, some for freezer. Also took the opportunity to stock up on knickers and socks - in this respect, I am an entirely typical British woman. Then back to the house again, loaded up the car and thence to vet for Booty's repeat prescription for her Previcox and another look at her eye, as she appears to have scraped it on one of her squirrel chasing missions. Vet has issued eyedrops and a selection of festive dog chews. Then finally back to the A470 and the long journey north to our new home. As we drove, the most beautiful stars were visible - lovely. Now just about to catch up with last night's CSI Miami and then it will be time for bed - I am so exhausted that I will sleep like a log tonight.

We think we've selected an agent so we just need to sort out the stupid bleepety bleep HIP issue and then the house should be on the market just after Christmas.

Finally, this is the 201st blog post - 200 posts seems like quite a milestone. I'd love to hear what your favourite post is and what you like about the blog. Do you want to see more photos? Do you like the way all the craft stuff has been hived off to Silver nutmeg? Would you like to see more whizbang features, with feeds, links etc? Tell me your thoughts.

1 comment:

The Calico Quilter said...

Congrats on the clean bill of health! May it continue - bless you.