Monday, December 22, 2008

My thanks to Jan for the pointer to some festive blog layouts. What a great idea. Took Andrew to work this morning and stopped by the butcher on the way back to pick up the turkey. How exciting. What was also good is that instead of wrestling with a big bird in a carrier bag or a parcel, they gave it to me in a large, sturdy cardboard holder with handles, a bit like the bottle holders you get from the supermarket. Also collected the Christmas edition of the Radio Times. Like many people this is the only time I buy it, and it seems as much a part of the festive season as sprouts and the tree. Had a look at it, and so far the obvious must sees are Wallace and Gromit (hoorah!) in their new adventure as well as a re-run of Curse of The Were-rabbit. Also of course Doctor Who. Otherwise, not a huge amount that is grabbing me, except of course the season finale of CSI Miami tomorrow night, featuring what the RT amusingly calls the Sunglasses of Justice on H. It really is the most stylish year-round pantomime - gloriously over the top. I msut admit the current season has some very whizbang computer things that I yearn for and I'm not normally much of a gadget queen. So,unless the house is burning down tomorrow night I will be glued to the sofa and not answering the phone to anyone.

Yesterday, we went down to see Aunty Floss, my much loved great-aunt. When I was little,we'd usually go and see her on Christmas Eve and I have particular memories of this being the first time we would be allowed to eat Christmas cake during the holidays. Aunty Floss is a great baker and slicing into a huge, rich fruit cake with royal icing on it, served on delicate china plates would be the curtain raiser, so to speak, on the feasting to come. Although my mother would make and ice her own cake, this would not be cut into until at least the afternoon of Christmas Day, and would usually sit on top of the piano in the dining room tempting me and my brother before that. Anyway, this year we were sandwiched in between her hectic round of engagements, with a pantomime the day before in Pontardawe and another visitor expected after we left her in the afternoon. She's then off on a fortnight's holiday in sunny Porthcawl. What I can't get over is the way that she describes the holiday hotel she goes to, which is full of senior citizens, all of whom seem to be busy dating and flirting. The last time she went a gentleman caller to one of her friends came unstuck, as another of his squeezes (unknown to him) was also staying at the hotel and a tricky situation ensued. It actually sounds very much like being back at school. What also made me nearly choke on my lunch was when she was describing another friend (aged 88) who announced to the man on their first date "I'm not ready for sex yet" and apparently this drove him away. So, all in all, it was fabulous to see her. As we drove back up the A40, it seemed incredibly Christmassy somehow. The afternoon was damp and misty, and just occasionally you'd see glowing yellow lights from farms and houses as we drove through the countryside, all browns and purples in the low light. It just made you think of woodsmoke and fires and comforting pots of tea. Lovely.

No comments: